This post is also available in: Chinese (Simplified)
Henry T. Chou is a partner in the Princeton, N.J. office of Hill Wallack LLP. He is a member of the Business & Commercial Services, Chinese Foreign Direct Investment, Mergers & Acquisitions, Renewable Energy & Sustainability, Land Use Solutions, Environmental Issues and Eminent Domain practice groups.
He concentrates his practice in areas of commercial transactions and litigation, corporate and employment law, environmental permitting and litigation, renewable energy projects and land development matters.
He has represented domestic and foreign companies, public entities and non-profits in a wide variety of commercial, employment, environmental, renewable energy and land use matters. He has also represented foreign entities in various corporate and litigation matters related to their investments and transactions in the United States.
Mr. Chou is admitted to practice in the State Courts of New Jersey (2000) and Pennsylvania (2000) and the U.S. District Court of New Jersey (2000). He received his law degree from Rutgers University School of Law. Following law school, Mr. Chou served a judicial clerkship with the Honorable Lawrence M. Lawson, Assignment Judge of Monmouth County. He is an honors graduate of the University of Georgia. Mr. Chou is proficient in Mandarin Chinese.
Corporate and Commercial Matters
- Represents manufacturers, food and wine distributors, agrochemical companies, and biochemical and pharmaceutical services companies in corporate, employment, contractual, trademark/copyright matters
- Litigates matters involving breach of contract claims and transactional issues
- Advises businesses concerning real estate and land use matters
- Represents companies in their acquisition and development of renewable energy projects in the U.S.
- Advises Chinese companies on joint ventures and subsidiaries in the U.S.
- Represents Chinese and Taiwanese companies in breach of contract litigation in New Jersey
- Advises Chinese companies on mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and venture capital matters
Environmental and Renewable Energy
- Litigates matters involving environmental remediation and natural resource damage liabilities
- Obtains land use and interconnection approvals and permits for private and public renewal energy projects
- Obtains planning board and zoning board of adjustment approvals for residential and commercial projects
- Challenges and defends approvals granted by municipal land use boards
- Named to New Jersey Law Journal’s 40 Under 40 for 2010
- Member, Supreme Court Committee on Access and Fairness
- Member, Board of Directors of Land Use Section, New Jersey State Bar Association
- Coadjutant Instructor, Rutgers University Center for Government Services, Solar and Wind Regulation
In 2010, the New Jersey Law Journal named Mr. Chou to its 40 Under 40 list of attorneys who “have made that leap early, by proven expertise in practice areas, by acceptance of important management roles at their firms, by rain-making ability and by strong community involvement and volunteerism — all of which make up the stuff of future leaders in the profession.”
Presentations and Publications:
- SBA 504 Loans – Alternative Business Financing, New Jersey Chinese-American Chamber of Commerce (June 2012)
- Municipal Regulation of Solar and Wind Powered Facilities, Rutgers University Center for Government Services (August 2011)
- Legislature Passes Law Encouraging Development of Solar Farms, Builder/Architect Magazine (March 2011)
- New Jersey Adopts Landmark LSRP Legislation Allowing Private Professionals to Oversee Site Cleanups, Builder/Architect Magazine (August 2009)
- Co-Author and Editor, Chinese Direct Investment Law Blog (www.uschinalawblog.com)
- Author and Editor of the New Jersey Land Use and Environmental Law Blog (www.nj-landuselaw.com)